Windows Operating System OS on Computer
Window Operating System is a Graphical based OS developed, marketed and sold by Microsoft Company. This is the next upper level of Operating System as comparison to DOS. The different versions of windows operating system rely with the IBM PC compatible architecture. The initial release of Windows version takes place 31 years ago on 20 Nov 1985, as Window 1.0 Version. Microsoft Windows came forward to dominate the world’s personal computer (PC) market with over 90% market share by overtaking Mac OS, which had been introduced in 1984. Window has released both Desktop and Mobile based OS with different features. Window OS is dependent on platforms like ARM IA-32, Itanium, DEC, Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC. Now a day it is available on 137 languages. On Personal computers, Window OS is still the most popular Operating system. However with the massive sale and popularity of Android Smartphone, the sale of window devices was reduced to 25% in 2014. As a result window introduced newer version of OS for PCs, Tablets, Smartphone’s and embedded devices known as Window 10 in 2016. The most recent versions of server computer used is Window Server 2016. Windows Operating System OS on Computer is explained here.
Windows Classification according to marketing roles:
Window OS which is developed by Microsoft targeted every sector of the computing industry and proposed specific OS for these sectors. Below is the description regarding this specific Window OS.
- Window NT – This Window OS targeted the Computing Industry for Server Computers and Workstations. Window NT 3.1 was the earlier version for this area. This Operating System consists of three OS subfamilies named – Windows, Windows server and Windows PE.
- Windows – It is designed for Personal Computers, tablets and Smartphone. The latest version of Windows is Window 10.
- Window Server – It is designed for Server computers. The latest version of Window server is Window Server 2016.
- Window PE – It is designed for bare-metal computers for recovery or troubleshooting purposes.
- Windows Embedded – It was built as a general purpose OS for every device that was too resource limited to be called a fully fledged computer.
- Window 9x – It was developed to target consumers market but discontinued due to suboptimal performance.
- Window Mobile – the Operating system which will run on phone. The first version was Pocket PC 2000. Latest version running on phone is Window Mobile 6.5.
- Window Phone – the window OS which will run only on Smartphone. The first version was Window Phone 7. Latest window phone Os is Window 10 mobile. Windows Operating System OS on Computer is continued..
Some of the Popular Versions of Window Operating Systems are –
- Window XP – Window XP was released by Microsoft in 25th October 2001. It is one of the successful versions of Window NT. The launching of Windows XP aimed to unify the consumer-oriented Windows 9x series with the architecture which is introduced by Windows NT, What Microsoft promised would provide better performance over its DOS-based predecessors. It focuses on redesigned user interface, security, networking and streamlined multimedia features. Window XP marketed two main version of Operating system – Home edition and Professional Edition. Home Edition was targeted towards Consumers or independent users and Professional Edition was targeting towards business or corporate environment.
- Window Vista – Window Vista was released on 30 January 2007 by Microsoft. It contains number of new features like redesigned shell, user interface to technical changes, security features and others. But subject to some criticism due to drop of performance, longer boot time, criticism of new UAC and strict license agreement.
- Window 7 – Unlike its predecessor, Window Vista introduced number of new features, Window 7 focus on incremental upgrade to Window line, to make it compatible with applications and hardware.
The feature introduced in Window 7 was Updated taskbar, Home Group and performance improvement.
Window 8 – this was the successor of window 7 and was released on Oct 2012. The new features that was added on window 8.
A – User interface for touch based devices such as tablets and PCs.
B – Introduction of Start Screen – which uses large tiles that are more convenient for touch interactions and allow for the display of continually updated information.
Window 10 – On 30 September 2014, a new successor to window 8.1 was introduced known as Window 10. Some of the important features introduced in Window 10 are-
A – Return of Start Menu
B – A virtual desktop system
C – Ability to run windows store apps
D – Special Window Update features
This is short description regarding Windows Operating System OS on Computer, in next topic we will study regarding Linux Operating System in Simple and Precise manner.