Windows Defender not working or turned off
Windows Defender not working or turned off – Windows defender is most similar to an Antivirus that protect our system from malware or spyware and other unusual activities. It is also referred as the first line of defense provided by Microsoft for Windows 10/ 8/ 7/ Vista. The Windows Defender allows its end users to schedule a scan as full or custom. But sometimes users may face issues on enabling it on Windows.
The other problem showing Windows Defender is turned off or not working. It might automatically disable itself creating such types of problems. In this article we will illustrates ways to counter such types of problems. The troubleshooting with Windows defender is carried out below. How to fix “Windows Defender not working or turned off”.
Procedure to Fix Windows Defender not working or turned off
Sometimes we encounter an error saying “Windows Defender has been turned off, and it isn’t monitoring your computer”. Another antivirus installed in our system objects the normal functioning of Windows defender. So, we ask our users to kindly uninstall the other antivirus to make system error free. But if Windows Defender has problem in the absence of another antivirus then follow the steps given below.
- Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed in your system.
- If recently, you have uninstalled any security software like McAfee or AVG. If possible, the partial uninstallation of such software might be causing the issue. So, uninstall it completely.
- If in recent your computer had recovered from a malware attack, then you are supposed to run a stand-alone portable antivirus scanner to scan your PC.
- Now check at Action Center that you can enable windows defender or not.
- Now Run the command “services.msc” to open Services Manager. Ensure that the Windows Defender services is started and set to automatic.
- Run regedit and navigate to the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender. Assign DWORDS value to 1. (DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntiVirus)