What are the Types of Windows Update
What are the Types of Windows Update - Microsoft being the Owner manages all programs related to Windows OS. It issues timely updates for all these programs running across the world. Today, huge population depends on Windows Operating System. They are using digital devices which run on Windows OS. The digital devices which run on Windows OS are Computers, Mobiles, PDAs, Watch, Bluetooth, etc. Microsoft being the Owner manages all programs related to Windows OS. It issues timely updates for all these programs running across the world. According to Microsoft there are six essential Windows updates that must be adopted for normal run. Apart from these six types of Windows updates, there are few more. We will discuss all of them below.
Are Windows updates and Microsoft updates similar? This is a big deal among Windows users. The Answer is No. Both of them are applicable for Microsoft based digital devices. To better understand the matter we divide programs in two sections. The first one is Operating System (OS) and second one is MS Office, MS One Drive and Others (like Games).
Microsoft Updates - The updates which are entirely applicable for programs running on PC like Operating System, MS Office, One Drive, Outlook, Games, etc.
Windows Updates - The updates which are applicable only for Operating System running on PC are called Windows Updates.
We can conclude that Windows Updates are subset of Microsoft Updates. Now it's the time to know about different types of Windows update available. What are the Types of Windows Update?
Types of Windows Update
- Security Update – Whenever a new security issue arises in any organisation, they intimate Microsoft about it. Microsoft instantly create patch to fix such issues. Same patch or update is released worldwide. Users are also notified via email to download these security updates. So, we can say security updates are required to address security related issues.
- Critical Update – Those updates which are issued essentially for Operating System. They address non-security issues in Windows.
- Definition update – Those updates which are helpful in identifying malicious codes, phishing sites, junk mail, etc. This is the work of definition database. The new update will either update or modifies the existing definition database in operating system.
- Driver updates – Those updates which advance the working of existing device drivers in operating system. Running the update will affect the working behaviour of Drivers.
- Monthly Rollup – This is continuation of existing updates rolled out every second Tuesday by Microsoft. The update include previous month patch with additional patch to retreat malwares.
- Tool Update – Those updates which upgrades the built in utilities and tools running on Operating System.
- Service Pack – Those updates which are released between two successive versions of Windows. It includes set of security update, critical update, fixes, tool update, etc for Service Pack running earlier. Though Service Packs are not used nowadays.
- Feature Pack Updates – Microsoft releases minimum two new features every year with this update for Windows 10 users.