What is Java language and its features
What is Java language and its features - Java is a high level, secure, robust and object-oriented programming language. Java language was developed by Green Team headed by Games Gosling, Mike Sheridan and Patrick Naughton.It has its own run time environment (JRE) and API popularly known as platform. Java programming is popularly used in desktop application, web applications, games, mobile, smart card, robotics, etc.
Popular Java Platforms/ Editions
- JavaSE (Java Standard Edition)
- JavaEE (Java Enterprise Edition)
- JavaME (Java Micro Edition)
Types of Java Applications –
There are four basic types of applications where Java programming is used.
- Standalone Application (Window based Application) – Antivirus, Media Player, etc.
- Web Application (Server Side) – Servlet, jsp, struts, jsf, etc.
- Enterprise Application (Firms, Banks) – Providing high level security
- Mobile Application
Features of Java Language –
There are many features available in Java language which makes things simpler and easy to understand. The important features of Java language are discussed below.
- Simple – The syntax of Java is based on C++ language making it easier for programmer to learn and use it.
- OOPs (Object Oriented Program) – The concepts of OOPs in Java simplify the software development and maintenance. The Object oriented concepts available in Java are Object, class, Inheritance, Polymorphism, Abstraction and encapsulation.
- Platform independent – Java code can run on any platform like Windows, Linux, Sun Solaris, Mac OS etc. Java code is compiled by the compiler and converted into bytecode. This bytecode is platform-independent code because it can be run on multiple platforms.
- Secured – This is highly secured language where security is provided by application developer like SSL, Cryptography, JAAS etc.
- Robust – It uses strong memory management. The avoidance of pointer in Java eliminates any security risks. The automatic garbage collection in Java makes it robust.
- Portable – The byte codes of Java can be ported to any platform easily.
- High Performance – The byte code is closer to native code making it faster than a compiled language. Other features which makes Java outstanding are Multi-threading, distributed approach and Architecture neutral.