What is Catfish & Catfishing Scam
What is Catfish & Catfishing Scam - We love to spend most of our free time on online social networking sites i.e. Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and others. We come across with many of our known and unknown friends. We casually like their posts and in the course time a strong friendship is established. We believe them most and start sharing our personal and financial backgrounds.
But Stop and beware of these friends and their friendships. The identity of these persons might be fake and intentionally created. They might have created a fake identity and make you a dating partner or well wisher for person interest.
What is Catfish?
A catfish is a person who creates a fake identity for either fun or some nefarious purpose on internet. They are mostly seen on social networking websites or dating websites. Anybody can be a victim of catfishing. The main moto of such catfish is to create deceptive romance dates followed by some monetary frauds and thefts. The catfish will make you a friend and then gradually trigger your emotional points and take you in confidence. They tell you their sad story and then gain your sympathy first.
Signs/ Warning of Catfishing Attempt and Precautions
There are some key points which should be kept in mind before sharing your personal/ secret information with any virtual friends.
- Scan the Person's Profile thoroughly. If you check the profile thoroughly then it will be clear that profile is Fake or True.
- Too good-looking profile with big luxury cars or house might be a catfish profile.
- On social networking sites, a profile with very less posts, no real pictures, no family photos, very few friends on list might be fake.
- Very fast on his work – The catfish are very fast on creating friends and making strong bonds with you. They are interested mostly on sharing personal information with each other.
- Check the Personal details like address, name, phone number, work address, bank details. If they do not provide you these data in the meantime, it means they are definitely catfish.