How to Control VLC Media Player with Mouse Gestures
How to Control VLC Media Player with Mouse Gestures - When we wish to play our favourite movies or videos on Computer, we prefer a secure and user friendly media player. Among all such media players, VLC media player is the most significant one. The basic reason behind its popularity is, it is free, platform independent, easy to use, faithful streaming protocols, easily customised, easily controlled by keyboard & mouse, etc.
Most of us are using VLC as media player to run any video contents. We also know tricks to control VLC using Keyboard. But most of us did not know how to control VLC using a pointing device like mouse. We can easily control VLC playback volume, forward, rewind, full screen mode and other selections by moving mouse cursor around the screen. Mouse gestures are similar to the keyboard shortcuts to increase your playback control speed and simplify tasks.
VLC tasks performed using mouse Gestures
- To Navigate Video 10 Seconds backward - Move the mouse cursor to the left
- To Navigate video 10 seconds forward - Move the mouse cursor to the right
- To Increase the volume by 5% - Move mouse cursor up
- To Decrease the volume by 5% - Move mouse cursor down
- To Play the video - Move mouse cursor left and then right
- To Pause the video - Move mouse cursor right and then left
- To Mute - Move mouse cursor up and then down
- To Slow down video speed - Move mouse cursor left and then up
- To Increase video speed - Move mouse right and then up
- To Play previous track of playlist - Move mouse cursor left and then down
- To Play next track in the playlist - Move mouse cursor right and then down
- To Switch the audio track - Move mouse cursor up and then right
- To Switch the subtitle track - Move mouse cursor down and then right
- To Enables view mode in full screen - Move mouse cursor up and then left
- To Close your VLC media player - Move mouse cursor down and then left
All above VLC tasks can only be performed by activating the gesture features. We had illustrated steps to enable gesture feature in VLC Player below.
Procedures to activate gesture features in VLC Player –
Open the VLC Media Player and navigate to Tools. Click on preferences in the drop down menu in Tools section. Alternatively Press Ctrl + P to open Preferences.
In Advanced Preferences window, navigate to Show settings and enable 'All' option. Go to Interface and click on Control Interface. Now to enable gesture control, check the option that says "Mouse gestures control interface" under the 'Control interfaces'.
Now click on Gestures tab under the 'Control Interfaces' and choose the trigger key for your mouse. It can be left/ right/ middle key. Finally the click on Save and close the media player. The restart the application and control it using mouse.