Windows 10 is activated but still asking for Product key
Windows 10 is activated but still asking for Product key - Sometimes we notice that windows 10 are already activated but still it is asking for activation using a different product key. The error message says "Your Windows licence expires on …" Contact your system admin to get a product key. Further it says "To activate Windows, enter a different product key or if you don't have one, contact your system administrator".
Open Windows Settings > Update & Security > Activation, to view the Activation Windows message. Just below the Activate Windows message, there are two available buttons asking for Activate and Change Product Key. In this article we will help you to resolve this type of Windows Activation error. So before proceeding you must have your original product key in hand.
Procedure to Fix Windows 10 is activated but Still asking for Product key
- You can also retrieve you correct product key by using command prompt window. Enter the following command – wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
- Now Click on Activate button once again. But if you have another product key which you want to use then click on Change Product Key and enter the key and select Activate. Check if problem is solved else proceeds towards next step.
- Perform Uninstall of Product key. Enter the product key and try again.
- If problem does not solve, you need to Rebuild the Token.dat file and try to activate the windows again. The Token.dat file is a digitally signed file that stores the files related to Windows activation. Sometimes these files are corrupted and results in problem.
- User must Run the windows 10 activation troubleshooter and check if problem is solved. The troubleshooter will help you to fix most common errors related to activation on Genuine Window devices including the hardware changes.
- If problem is not solved you may also activate Windows 10 by your phone. Otherwise contact the Microsoft support and tell about your problem.