LISP List Processing Programming Language
LISP List Processing Programming Language - LISP is a general purpose programming language accommodating powerful facilities for Symbol Manipulation. The LISP takes its name from "LIST Processor". Symbol Manipulation is something which is similar as working with words and sentences. Lisp is a family of computer programming language, which was designed in 1960 by John McCarthy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The Language was developed by Steve Russell, Timothy P Hart and Mike Levin. McCarthy published its design in a paper in communications of the ACM in 1960. Lisp is the second oldest High level Programming Language after FORTRAN. Many of the concepts are incorporated in Computer Science like Tree data structure, automatic storage management, dynamic typing, higher order functions, recursion etc.
What are the Application areas of LISP Programming?
- It is used in AutoCAD application
- It is used in Igor Engraver
- It is used in areas where rapid development of prototypes is required
- It is used in interactive command line, which are combined with IDE
- Used in Yahoo! Store Web Commerce Site.
- It is used in research development applications like Artificial Intelligence.
A LISP program uses symbolic expressions to ease the work with data and procedures. The syntax of LISP is relatively very simple. LISP is normally used as an interpreter. Lisp is closely related to Artificial Intelligence Research communities like PDS – 10 System. Lisp contains some tool which are capable to solve some the most difficult problems in the world of computing. Lisp is one of the most important programming language that is used in artificial intelligence. LISP List Processing Programming Language.
What are the Features of LISP Programming Language?
- Contain Built in Support for Lists
- It uses Dynamic Typing
- It uses uniform syntax through the program – Lisp contains data and codes which are represented uniformly.
- It consists of Standard Macros. In this language variable declaration is rare.
- It really works on Interactive environment. The feature of recursion make it most popular in Artificial Intelligence.
- LISP uses a very simple notation in which operators and their operands are given in a parenthesized list.
- List are surrounded by parenthesis. Ex – (), (()), ((a, b, c)) etc.
- The interchangeability of code and data promote lisp instantly recognizable syntax.
Some of the Versions of LISP Programming language - -
- LISP 1 – It was the first Implementation
- LISP 1.5 – It was the first widely distributed version of LISP.
- Stanford LISP – It was the successor of LISP 1.5, rendered by Maclisp and Interlisp.
- Many other versions was released after Standard LISP containing special features, these are MACLISP, InterLisp, Franz Lisp, Standard Lisp, Zeta Lisp, Common Lisp, Dylan, ANSI Common Lisp etc.
- Clojure – It is a recent Lisp version which compiles to the Java virtual Machine.