FORTRAN Formula Translation Programming Language
FORTRAN Formula Translation Programming Language - FORTRAN is abbreviated as FORmula TRANslation, is one of the oldest programming language developed by a team of programmers at IBM led by John Backups and was published on 1957. It was developed keeping in mind the suitability of numeric computations and scientific computing. It is the popular high performance computing program that benchmark and being used in world fastest supercomputer.
The published versions of Fortran contains some special features like FORTRAN 77 contains - Structured programming and processing of character based data; FORTRAN 90 contains - Array programming, modular programming and generic programming; FORTRAN 95 contains – high performance Fortran; FORTRAN 2003 contains – Object Oriented Programming features; FORTRAN 2003 contains – Concurrent Programming. The language was widely adopted by scientists for writing mathematical intensive programs, encouraging compiler writing to produce compilers that could generate faster and more efficient code.
FORTRAN was so innovative not only because it was the first high-level language, but due to its compiler, which further give rise to the branch of computer science now known as compiler theory.
What are important features of FORTRAN Programming Language?
- The programming concepts is simple and easy to learn.
- It is referred to as a scientific language.
- It contains natural ways to illustrated Mathematical functions like regular algebraic notations.
- It exhibits efficient execution.
- The FORTRAN language has the ability to control storage allocation areas.
- It allow more freedom to programmer during code layout.
- The language is machine Independent, so the transportation will be easy from one machine to another.
What are the application Areas of FORTRAN Programming Language?
- Numerical Weather Prediction
- Finite element analysis
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Computational Physics
- Computational Chemistry
The FORTRAN programming language contains data features which are the building blocks of advanced programming concepts. These are Variables, Arithmetic Operations, Input and Outputs, Looping in Programs, Arrays in Programs, Checking variables, Subprograms and functions and Formatting and File Handling.