Server Operating System Environment
Definition of Server Operating System Environment : The operating system which is designed to run on Server Computer and contribute specialised features on Client Server Architecture are called as Server Operating System or Server OS. The Server Operating System embedded with multi networking features serve the request from client computer connected on network. The Server OS facilitates and enable features such as Web server, Mail Server, File server, Application server, data base server and Print server. Server Operating System Environment.
What are the features of Server Operating System (Server OS)?
There are various features which are facilitated while interconnection between Client and Server Computer on physical network. Some of the features are given below. These feature are seen or observed in Client Server Model or architecture.
- Execution of all or most processes from Operating System commands.
- Ability of Client Computer to access the server both in GUI (Graphic based Interface) and command-level interface.
- Ability to Install or configure business applications and web applications.
- Manages and monitors client computers and its Operating Systems
- Facilitates central interface to manage users, configure security and other administrative processes.
- It manages Advanced-level hardware, software and network configuration services of its own.
- To help manage, store, send and process data, documents and their files to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Advanced backup facility to permit regular and frequent online backups of critical data.
- Reconfigure and update both hardware and software to large extent.
What are the Best Server Operating System used Nowadays?
- Window Server – Version 2000, 2003 R2, Small business Server 2008 – These types of server are used as small business servers. Wide support, file support, reasonable price tag, mass of third party development and maintenance and installation.
- Mac OS X Server – It consists of many features including stable interface, Shares Origins with FreeBSD, etc. It include unlimited user license, in order to use Mac OS X Server you need to buy apple hardware.
- Linux OS (Red Hat) – It is available in software packages and licensing model. It is free to a couple thousand dollors and price in under considerable range.
- Solaris – It is used for small and mid-size business. It is a free, open source that offers a range of support for business.
- Free BSD – It is a version of UNIX. It has high performance network applications like longest uptime, easy to use, large range of products, no real licensing issues.
What are the new features included in Window Server 2016?
- PowerShell direct – It is a great management automation service tool but it can be complicated to get it to run on remote Virtual Machines.
- Nano Server – It has update module for building Nano server images. The improvement in recovery console is considered.
- Linux Secure Boot
- Window server containers and hyper containers.
- Hot add & remove of virtual memory network adapters
- Docker support
What are the application of Server OS?
- File and Printer sharing
- Application services
- Email, groupware and messaging.