Low Level Programming Language Basic Concepts
Low Level Programming Language Basic Concepts – It is a programming language which provide little or no abstraction from computer commands or functions closely related to processors instructions. It can be converted to machine code without the use of Compiler or Interpreter. The low level programming language deals with the computer hardware components and constraints. It is referred to be computers Native language. The low level language is designed in such a way that it can operate and handle all hardware and instructions set architecture of a computer. Programs which are written in low-level language are directly executable by computer processor without the help of interpreter or Compiler. The examples of Low level language are Assembly language and Machine language.
What are the basic properties of low level language?
Some of the important characteristic or properties which are included in Low level language are –
- Low level language are easily understood by Computer machine.
- Low level language are written or programmed slowly but execute very fast.
- It is CPU specific language, making direct use of internal registers.
- It acts as close control to the CPU.
- It produces least portable source code.
- Mnemonics are used as programming code such as SUB and ADD.
- The language is difficult to understand, only the programmer can understand due to technical details known to him/ her.
- They are very hard to understand as they require deep knowledge of machine language.
Low level Programming Language Examples
- Assembly language – The language which uses mnemonic code, instruction set and commands to program are Assembly language. The assembly language is the second generation language which provide abstraction with regards to machine code. The assembler is used to translate assembly language codes to machine language which are executed easily in no time. The language contains opcodes, addresses, numeric constants, strings etc.
What is Assembler?
Answer – The Assembler is a program which translate Assembly language codes to machine codes which are easily executable by computer system.
- Machine Language – The language which are written in machine codes with the help of binary, alphabet and strings. It is easily executable by the processor or CPU as compared to assembly language which require Assembler for translation to machine code. It is very difficult to write Machine code because it required precise knowledge, attention, numerous details regarding machine architecture and functions.